Mediterranean-spiced shawarma, fresh salad and a garlic tahini dressing. All of the flavor of a chicken shawarma sandwich in a salad. You in?
If you are like me and you love shawarma and also love salad, then this recipe is for you. Chicken Shawarma Salad is a dish that’s healthy, super flavorful, crowd-pleasing, and comes together in just under 30 minutes. This Chicken Shawarma Salad combines a few of my favorite Middle Eastern flavors – shawarma, a green salad with a fantastic garlic tahini sauce and pita chips for a little crunch. This is the perfect weeknight meal when you don’t have a lot of time but want something healthy and satisfying. It would be especially great for an evening with family or friends. You can make the garlic tahini sauce a head of time and use it when needed. I especially love the spice marinade on this chicken; I season my chicken with a smattering of spices and cook them until done. While that’s happening, chop up your salad and add it to a mixing bowl, top with pita chips and you’re ready to go. Also, if you store leftovers separately, it remains fresh for days making it great for weekday lunches. Double win.
There is no question though; shawarma made at home and put into a salad bowl doesn’t taste exactly the same as shawarma wrapped in pita bread from a street stand. This Chicken Shawarma Salad is delicious in its own way. Chicken marinated in garlic and spices, charred on the griddle and served over a fresh green salad. OH SO YUM! The pita can be fried or baked in the oven for a few minutes – resulting in some delicious thin and crispy croutons. You have two choices for cooking this recipe– in the oven or on the grill. Both cooking methods taste great, there really isn’t a big difference between the two. Make sure you have a napkin on hand as that watercress does try it’s best to cover your face in leaves and salad dressing!
This Chicken Shawarma Salad is everything I love in a meal; It’s healthy, flavorful and super filling. Let me know if you make this Chicken Shawarma Salad. Take a pic and tag me @shosholuv on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos!
For the Shawarma spice marinade:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into slices
- ½ teaspoon seven spices
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- A pinch of ground cardamom
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 pickled cucumbers, chopped
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
For the garlic tahini dressing:
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup tahini sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 garlic gloves mashed
- ¼ teaspoon mustard
- Salt to taste
For the bread (pita chips):
- 1 Arabic bread (pita bread) cut into squares
- Fry or bake the bread depending on your preference until you get a golden brown colour
- Cut chicken breast into small stripes. Combine Shawarma spice marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add chicken and toss around to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Combine garlic tahini sauce ingredients and whisk together until thick and creamy.
- Grill chicken until well done, remove from grill and let it sit a side.
- Assemble salad: in one large bowl add the salad ingredients, chicken strips and pita chips. Top with garlic tahini sauce and garnish with parsley.