Inspired by my last post, I decided to give this bread recipe a try and I am SO glad I did. This Butternut Squash Bread is super moist, rich and perfectly sweet. It is a delicious blend of autumn spices, butternut squash and tastes just like carrot cake.This bread would be fantastic for Thanksgiving or any day really, and is perfect with a steamy cup of tea or coffee. It is also a great way to sneak in some extra vegetables into your family’s diet, your kids would love it!
The recipe was adapted from allrecipes.com but I made few changes to it. I doubled the amount of cinnamon and halved the amount of cloves used and it came out amazing. The beauty of this bread is that it becomes better and more delicious over time. So by day two, this bread transforms itself into a lovely moist bread full of rich autumn flavours. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did and give this recipe a try. If you do, please let me know how it turns out I would love to hear from you.
*Note that this recipe yields a lot of batter and it makes about 2 bread loafs. I didn’t have an extra bread loaf pan so I decided to make a cake in addition to the bread loaf I made. You can also opt out for muffins; it would be a great lunch box treat.
- 2 2/3 cups white sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups pureed roasted butternut squash
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground gloves
- 2/3 cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease two medium loaf pans
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves in a bowl and set aside
- Cream shortening, sugar and eggs together. Stir in butternut squash and water into the mixture
- Gradually add dry mixture until everything is well combined
- Stir in chopped walnuts and mix well. Pour the batter into the loaf pans
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until a tooth pick is inserted into the center and comes out clean
- Let it cool down completely before serving